Thursday, November 21, 2013

Thanksgiving Prep // How to Not Go Crazy

Hello friends!

I cannot believe that Thanksgiving is coming upon us in a fervor known as food, chilly weather, & stress...
Along with planning all of my outfits for the impending events (which we have a LOT of events over the next 6 weeks) I also will be cooking Thanksgiving dinner!
Last night I told my husband that I will always want to make Thanksgiving dinner, but there may come a time when it just won't be possible... And I kind of look forward to that in the future!
But for now, I am happy making dinner for the people that I love... 

Pinterest has been afloat with all of the Holiday pins, but I think that a few key pins can help us make this whole thing a little lot easier.

Your Official Thanksgiving Cheat Sheet @Ashley Walters Walters Walters Walters Redmon
This is the list that PopSugar has created to help prep for a successful Thanksgiving... Though we are only a week before, Jeff and I have decided on our menu... He dreamed of way more than I felt comfortable trying to successfully accomplish... So we toned it down - trimmed the fat if you will - and made a pretty good looking menu!

***

I make a main course (turkey), three sides, biscuits, and pie for dessert...

We have decided to brine our turkey this year... This is something that I have always wanted to do, but never felt I had the space to do it! - Granted, our space hasn't increased, but Jeff has now heard of brining and wants to try it... Everyone's on board!
Cooking Tutorial: How to Brine Turkey ShopletPromos.com - promotional products for your business.
-I like to do a fresh turkey... I used to go frozen and last year we went fresh for the first time and it was divine!!!!
THIS is the recipe that I will be using this year... I love Alton Brown, and he makes this turkey look fab!

Garlic mashed potatoes always make an appearance... I slow roast my garlic in the oven and use red baby potatoes so I don't have to peel anything :)
Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Stuffing/dressing is something that we like to try something a little different each year... This year we will be trying THIS recipe... I don't know if we will ever stick with just one recipe!
Traditional Turkey Stuffing - pretty close to my recipe - i add butter and chx broth

Now... I think I am most passionate about green bean casserole... I first had this when I was a teenager when one of my uncles girlfriends brought it over to my grandparents house... (remember I'm English, so my parents didn't make green bean casserole... ever... and we were vegetarian - and my parents are very healthy... so multiple canned items in one dish? No) it was DIVINE! THIS is the recipe I use...
Cheesy, Crispy Green Bean Casserole
- This recipe uses fresh mushrooms...
- This recipe uses fresh onions, sauteed...
- This recipe has the most delicious cheesy top... ever!
- Trust me, you need to try this...

**

For the first time this year I will be adding Cheddar Bay Biscuits to our Thanksgiving dinner!
These things are... amazing. I will be making them the night before - doubling my recipe - and making my peeps happy!! THIS is the recipe I use!
Cheddar Bay Biscuits

**

I think that appetizers are the best part... I like to make them a little small so I can eat while I'm cooking other things... Because, lets be honest, I'm not sitting and munching much... I'm workin!

Deviled eggs are a staple at our house... I'm going to jazz them up with some bacon this year... I don't personally have a NEED for deviled eggs, but my husband and mother-in-law do... They are easy enough, so I'm happy to oblige!
Bacon Cheddar Deviled Eggs

I also make a pretty mean brie cheese wheel... It is SO easy, and looks was more complicated than it is... Making it easy to really pack a punch! This year I may even try and make the bow on top! Delicious!
Puff Pastry Wrapped Brie from FoodNetwork.com
THIS is the recipe I use...

**

My generous mother-in-law brings a pumpkin pie... Delicious!

So that's our menu... It's not the fanciest thing out there, but its going to be tasty and attainable for me to make everything to my standards!

XXOO Lucy

No comments: