Friday, January 24, 2014

How to move & not go crazy


2014 has been very kind to the Casey family.
my husband and I have just moved into a new home and we could not be happier about it.
I do have to admit that with my perfectionist nature I have been in a little bit of a slump because of all the boxes that are constantly all over the place!
but over the past 2 days I've really been getting everything sorted out.
today I am tying up some loose ends because tomorrow my husband will be hosting some friends for games and the UFC fight tomorrow.

this is a view of our backyard... we have a hill in the backyard that has some nice stairs that go up to the very top where we will be able to watch fireworks during the 4th of July!

these are some things that I did to try and make my life easier:
  • pack & label a few boxes that are the most important with *open me first*
  • (this may seem obvious) but putting like things/similar items in the same box
  • label the boxes with the rooms that you want them to go into
  • purge your home before you pack... a deep, intense cleaning that includes donating some items, shredding old documents, & wash everything before you pack it
  • clean your fridge & microwave before you move them
  • make sure that the house is cleaned and any important things, like carpet/doggie-doors/new wiring, is up to date & already done before moving day
some things I would change about moving:
  • don't let my husband pack anything... not that I didn't appreciate his help, but his idea of packing - especially last minute - is very frantic & frankly too crazy for my liking... 
  • I would make sure that the unpacking of the U-Haul is handled with more care... like, my Kitchenaide mixer wouldn't end up upside-down in my front room... (ahem)
  • we would find a better way to pack books... we have SO many books and packing them into boxes, is such a hassle
I am so excited about the move, there are some things I would change, but overall we are just so blessed & I'm so thankful that we have the opportunity to buy a home and start our life together for many years!

I can't wait to share some pictures with you all of the inside of the house!

No comments: